Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Greenpoint Rite Aid


Today I took a jaunt over to Greenpoint's Rite Aid to pick up some much-needed shampoo and garbage bags. My itty bitty apartment (which I love!) is on the border of the Williamsburg and Greenpoint neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I'm also nicely sandwiched between Italian and Polish enclaves...with a healthy smattering of hipsters throughout. The short stroll to Greenpoint transports you to a Little Poland complete with storefronts in Polish and old men cursing at you in Polish (true story.) It also reminds me of the New York from movies - 1960s, pre-gentrification New York. But despite this, it still has a Dunkin' Donuts and a Rite Aid - what doesn't?

I walked in to find that the hair dyes and contact solution were not housed in your typical Rite Aid store. I had actually walked into what appeared to be an old ballroom. The heart of the store is in a large, sunken room with a vaulted ceiling with ornate detailing along the side. The best part was the giant disco ball in the middle. The whole scene made me legitimately laugh outloud and desperate to know the history of the place. The second I got home I hopped on the Internet to do a little research on the place. Turns out I wasn't the only person who found it hilarious/interesting. Apparently it was originally the Meserole Theater before it was transformed into a skating rink (hence the disco ball, I suppose) and finally a drug store. Anyway, while it made me sad that it's not still there as either of those things, I'm glad they've at least maintained the building.


Also, next time I need shampoo I'm definitely bringing my roller skates.

No comments: