Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The One-Two Punch

New York City is a coy mistress. This is certainly not a profound statement - realistically, it probably lands somewhere between old New York adage and screenwriter's cliche (which is worse? You decide). But while I'm aware of this, it still surprises me when she hits.

I spent the week in a very "over New York" slump. I finally succumbed to a stomach bug this weekend, spending nearly the whole of Saturday and Sunday in bed. Also, my parents' Christmas card - harmless and honest - which summarized my year succinctly, stating: "she’s in a different apartment now with one roommate, and she’s still working the restaurant job" led me to question what exactly I was doing here. I felt tired of the city and ready to head home.

Then came the one-two punch. And yes, I can use sports analogies, thankyouverymuch.

First came New York Magazine's year-end "Reasons to Love New York" issue. The article was littered with reasons why I do love living here. And why I feel at home in a big city. Second, as I sat in my favorite coffee shop in Williamsburg this morning, writing Christmas cards and waiting for my laundry, mammoth-sized snow flakes began to fall. Everyone in the small cafe became giddy and several employees and patrons went outside to capture the giant flakes on their tongues and look up at the sky. There is nothing like snow to make you love a city again.

Briefly going back to the "Reasons to Love New York" issue - the reason that stuck out most to me was one a reader had emailed in. Eric Greer wrote that he loves New York "because I moved to LA almost two years ago, and I've read six books in the time since. In New York, I'd read on the subway and finish a book in a week (at least!). There are millions of reasons to move back, but I'd do it just for the books."

Amen.

I have expounded to friends, family and, um, strangers, on multiple occasions about the amazing partnership between public transportation and literacy here in New York. Living in Bed-Stuy, especially, where my daily commutes were at least 45 minutes each way, I was never behind on a New Yorker subscription. It's so refreshing to have that forced separation from technology (excepting, of course, the equally transit-friendly ipod) for that bit of time each day. It was also always so reassuring to see people from all walks of life reading. And reading all types of newspapers, books and magazines. It's so apparent what a strong correlation there is between public transportation and literacy. Clearly, stronger public transportation systems are the answer to nearly all of societies woes, right? Literacy, the fall of print media, the environment - um, those are all of societies woes, correct? But absolutely without any irony or cheekiness, I really do believe that it could solve so much. So someone needs to start digging out there on the West Coast.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whatever, dude, it's a 45-minute Muni Rail ride to my office, so I get plenty of reading done too. That's no excuse not to move back!

Stephanie said...

I loved this post.