Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Blank Sheet of Paper

New York Times guest columnist today, Timothy Egan, wrote about Joe the Plumber publishing a book this month. Egan is, justifiably, incensed by the mere prospect of JTP (like Jonathan Taylor Thomas!) being paid to write. "I have a question for Joe:" he writes, "Do you want me to fix your leaky toilet? I didn’t think so. And I don’t want you writing books. Not when too many good novelists remain unpublished."

I am not quite as outraged by JTP's book deal as Egan; when I read about it, my first reaction was to laugh and shake my head - similarly to when I found out Brody Jenner has a show, "Bromance," airing on national television. But when I read this column, I did find myself saying "yeah! so true!" outloud and shaking my head, although this time more angrily. Although I fully understand we live in an era of celebrity, it's still frustrating to be a struggling writer - watching those who aren't even really interested in writing take a book deal for granted. Just as struggling actors, I'm sure, are frustrated to see celebrities floundering through a leading role in a Broadway show. We're living in a time when Tila Tequila will star as Roxie Hart in Chicago and publish a popular-but-panned memoir before qualified individuals. But I don't think that means the rest of us should give up on the pursuit.

P.S. Photo credit for the picture in Wednesday's post goes to Michael Gacetta. Check out his daily photography, along with Stephanie Layton's at http://365.nickgaswirth.com/

1 comment:

Mark Nemtsov said...

The other problem is that we don't promote good literature as a society, so authors who are talented have to slave in genres that are below their rank.

Why should a good writer write a book for young adults when they could be using their supreme talents to write a novel to appeal to real adults?

It's because writing has become a commercial enterprise, rather than an artistic expression. Before that changes, celebs will get book deals before their latest poorly acted show gets canceled.