Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Welcome back.

The last post I wrote was over a year ago. Now that my job requires extensive writing every day, there’s less incentive to come home and write more. Plus, why write an entire post analyzing an article, when I can simply post it to Twitter with a hashtag, succinctly and wittily summarizing my feelings about whatever I’m sharing. You know, like: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8045747/ #lolz.

In the past year, nearly everything has changed for me: new job, new city, new cat. OK, maybe that last item is not on par with the other two -- but essentially my life has taken a 360, or 180, or some significant turn.

I work in PR now, which is either the exact opposite of working as a journalist or just a different slice of the same pie. I go back and forth in how I think about it. This move does really mean an official exodus from journalism for me. While on some level there’s relief about escaping a sinking ship, I still sometimes get the feeling I really still belong at sea. While journalism is still in an incredibly shabby state, things seem a bit less dour at this point compared with a year ago. For one thing, compared with 2009, when 596 magazines folded (including Gourmet and a number of other Conde Nast titles), 2010 actually saw more magazines launching than folding (193 to 176, respectively). I also woke up this morning to find a Groupon for a New York Times subscription in my inbox. $24 for eight weeks of the Sunday Times -- maybe that’s going to save the newspaper industry?

2 comments:

Nate Laffan said...

A gift from the gods of groupon! For the record, I can think of no better measure of time passing on a Sunday than how many sections of the Times are still on your lap, and how many have made it down to the floor: rumpled and consumed. Add coffee...Add cat...sounds perfect.

Unknown said...

Whoo you're back!